Prep Time: 30mins to 1hr
Cook Time: Over 2 hrs
Total Time: 3hrs or more
For the Ragu Sauce
1 tbs Olive Oil (mild or medium)
390g pack of Vegan Mince (I used Fry’s but just go for your favourite)
250ml Vegetable Stock
1 tbs Cider Vinegar
1 onion, finely chopped
150g/5oz Butternut Squash, finely chopped
1 Stick of Celery, finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
1 tsp Dried Oregeno
1x400g/14oz tin chopped plum tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
For the Parmesan
100g/1 cup Cashew nuts
4 tbs Nutritional Yeast
1/4 tsp Salt
For the White Sauce
500ml/2 cups Nut Milk (use the one you prefer)
2 tsp Cornflour
1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
Salt & Pepper to taste
To Make Up
12 Sheets Spelt Lasagne
100g/3oz Vegan Mozzarella
2 handfuls of Vegan Pizza Cheese
1. For the Ragu Sauce, heat the oil in a large pan and then add the onions, celery and squash and cook for about 5 minutes then add the oregano and garlic.
2. Continue cooking until everything starts to brown and then add the stock and vinegar to deglaze the pan and continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated.
3. No add the mince, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Fill the tomato tin with water and pour this into the pan as well, cover and simmer sauce for about 2 hours.
4. While the sauce is cooking make the parmesan by putting all of the ingredients into a food processor and blending until you have a fine powder. Keep an eye on it as if you go too far you will end up with flavoured cashew butter.
5. When your ragu sauce is about 20 minutes from being ready preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
6. For the white sauce, dissolve the cornflour in 1-2 tbs of water or milk and then put all of the milk into a pan and heat, as it reaches the boil stir in the dissolved cornflour. Keep stirring until the sauce begins to thicken so there are no lumps, then reduce the heat. Mix in the mustard, 20g of the Vegan Parmesan, slat and pepper.
7. Pour a spoonful of ragu sauce into a dish that is 20x23cm/8×9.5in so that the bottom is just covered then place 3 lasagne sheets on top followed by some ragu sauce, a few dots of mozzarella and white sauce and then a sprinkling of parmesan.
8. Continue to layer your lasagne as described above ending with a topping of white sauce, a few drops of ragu sauce and the remaining parmesan and pizza cheese.
9. Cover with Foil and bake for 35-40 mins or until golden brown. Remove the foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Allow to stand for a couple of minutes before serving.