A little while ago I saw a blog post that gave instructions on how to make crisp breads and I thought I would give it a go. The only question was what flour to use and how to flavour them. Then I saw a brand of chickpea crisp bread and I think on the ingredients it said something about using coconut milk and so that is where the idea for these cam from.
The best thing about them is I tried them out on my mum with a dip I had made and she was telling me how much she liked the dip and so I asked her what she thought of the crisp bread. The response was not what I expected, she actually said that she didn’t realise I had made them and thought they were shop bought.
It is always very satisfying when I get feedback like that, especially when I am trying something new. I would definitely make these breads again, they were very quick and easy and the perfect accompaniment to any dip. Plus as they are made from chickpea flour they are also full of protein and so very filling and much better for you then those made from regular flour.
Seeded Chickpea Crispbread
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
100g/3/4 Cup Chickpea Flour (Gram Flour)
1 1/2 Tbs Olive Oil
60ml/1/4 Cup Coconut Milk Drink
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tbs Mixed Seeds
1. Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 5
2. Mix together the chickpea flour and salt in a large bowl and then add in the olive oil and coconut milk drink and stir until it is all combined.
3. You should be able to form a ball with the dough, even it it is slightly sticky and so you may want to start with a little less liquid and build it up or if it is too wet add a bit more flour.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper then roll dough into a log and place in the middle of baking tray and cover with another sheet of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin roll your dough out until it is 3mm/1/8in thick. Remove top sheet of parchment paper.
5. Press seeds into top of dough and using a sharp knife mark out squares but do not pull them apart.
6. Sprinkle with a little water and spread across the surface and then bake in oven for 20 mins or until dry and slightly browned on top. Allow to cool before removing from baking sheet.